Response to Bound to El Norte: Don Bartletti Photography Exhibit

As a student who works at Memorial Library, I noticed that there was a new addition to the lobby area, the Bound to El Norte: Don Bartletti Photography Exhibit (See previous announcement blog post). I would usually glance at it briefly before heading to work, and I have noticed that many others did the same, just stopping briefly then carrying on with their lives.

The other day I stopped and took the time to appreciate the exhibit. I looked at every single photograph and read the brief stories below them. The photographs are very powerful and really depict what the journey is like for immigrants trying to make their way to the United States. After going through all the photographs, I experienced sadness, especially after seeing pictures of children taking such dangerous risks to find their mothers, but I also felt an overwhelming sense of empowerment. Empowerment to help these immigrants in any way that I can and hope that others feel the same way.

These feelings are why I recommend that you also stop by the exhibit at Memorial Library by February 27 or at Ebling Library from March 1-30. After viewing the exhibit, feel free to leave your comments in the notebook on display.

Jessica Waala
Undergraduate Student

9 thoughts on “Response to Bound to El Norte: Don Bartletti Photography Exhibit

1. Thanks Jessica. I wish I would have been able to see the portraits, but I'm too late.
    I actually had to take an art appreciation class for my degree, but really didn't want to. After being "forced" to do it though, I found that I actually enjoyed it immensely. I especially liked going to the museums, and just browsing all the paintings and pictures. It was wonderful, and now when I look at a piece of art, I see it in a different way.
    I'm a shutter bug myself, but I enjoy paintings and such very much. I can snap a picture, but can't paint, so I truly admire these artists.
    Thanks for the post. Did you ever find a way to help these people?

2. i am so curious about that "sadness stimulation" photo, and yeah picture that tell story always move people heart to do some action, do you have an idea to help these immigrant?