Last night, the winners of the Our Nations of Others contest were recognized at an awards ceremony, which also featured a keynote by Don Bartletti, Enrique’s Journey photojournalist. The Our Nations of Others contest invited members of the UW campus and surrounding community to submit creative reactions to this year’s Go Big Read selection.
Winners were announced in five categories:
- UW undergraduate student: “Generosity & El Tren Devorador,”
photography by Kat Cameron, Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
- UW graduate student: “From the Eyes of the Train,” acrylic on canvas by Beatriz Botero, Department of Spanish and Portuguese
- UW faculty or staff: “Going to the United States-1906-2006, mixed media by Micaela Sullivan-Fowler, Ebling Library
- Dane County K-12 student: “The American Dream,” drawing on wood by Ana Teresa Montes Jimenez, East High School
- Dane County community resident: “Wake Up Call,” essay by Stephanie Lowden of Madison
A selection of the works, including the winners as well as several other pieces, is on display in the Multicultural Center Gallery at UW Madison’s Red Gym until March 30. Click here for further information about the contest and winners. Congratulations to all participants!